Monday, May 30, 2011

Rustic Appeal of Bricks and Wood

Recently we went out for a swim in Calamba, Laguna and then tried this posh eatery before going home. I thought it would be boring to have dinner here, but I was excited about some of its interior design details.


I've always been excited about bricks and wood when it comes to Pinoy architecture ideas. Again, it gives you a mountain cabin feeling even while you're in the midst of the hassle and bustle of the metropolis. And it's perfect for a touch and effect of antiquity and archaic eras. With the right blend and rendition, seeing bricks and woods in design takes you back centuries ago, with an air of the good old days when lolo and lola used to be young people.

Residential Interior Design: A Guide to Planning SpacesRecently we went to this classy restaurant along C5 road where I thought old-style spaghetti alone was served. I was wrong and shocked. I saw various delectable food items in the menu lineup. And the place was terrific! The interior managed to lend the place a measure of royalty. I took time to appreciate the wall antique decors on the corners of the ceiling, and together with the bricks and wood and the subdued lighting, everything looked elegant.

For HOUSEpinoy, there is subtle beauty and attraction in the right mix of bricks and wood and lighting. If you add to that the display of other antique furnishings--like the archaic steel chairs I saw in this restaurant--there suddenly comes an atmosphere of palatial wonder, like a flash of mansion scenes from the Spanish era. I also took notice of the sword, hatchets, shield, and the mosaic lamps--nice touches for a total medieval look.


Sustainable Commercial InteriorsI love bricks and wood in houses, too. There's always a rustic appeal created by the combination of the two elements. There's a fresh ambiance and the place seems cooler. And quite amazingly, there's always a touch of mystery about. I would love to line up my wood planked wall with my favorite books on an attached shelf. Then, perhaps, a fire place below where fresh meat can be grilled? Of course, this is in the vicinity of the kitchen and dining room. I love reading while cooking or eating.


My grandmother used to have those antique steel chairs with twisted steel bars for supports. I don't know what happened to them, but when I was a kid I used to enjoy sitting on them. My uncles would pile them one over the other and step on the topmost to reach something up the ceiling. They were handy antique chairs. This restaurant applied some upholstery on the sitting surface and that added to its elegance. I couldn't help but take pictures of them.

Bricks and wood and lighting and antiques. I'd consider them the next time I design an interior. The concept is not just for restaurants. I think it's also perfect for living and dining rooms, small lobbies, and vacation houses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Borrow as Many Jars to Fulfill Your Dreams

Every Pinoy has an ambitious dream, like helping less fortunate countrymen--not by just giving them jobs but enabling them to reach their dr...